Can I hand in my English Language Certificate B2 later on after I submitted my application?

In order to assure a study spot with BIC it is optimal to hand in an English certificate, level B2, with the initial application at BIC. However, applicants can hand in their English certificate later, at the very latest 4 weeks before course start. Any applicant, who does not hand in their certific...

Accepted proof of English are IELTS 6, TOEFL 72, Cambridge, PTE Academic. We do not accept Duolingo certificates, as the German embassies, as well as the foreign registration office Berlin, do not accept it as proof of English language. It is also possible to submit a Medium of Instruction letter attesting command of the English Language in case the student has completed studies and examinations fully in English.


May I work as a student?

International students in Germany are allowed to work limited amounts parallel to their studies at the university as well as during preparation programs like BIC under certain condtions.

International students are allowed to work up to 120 full or 240 half days per year while studying. This is printed directly on the student visa. However, certain campus jobs, tutorial positions, and mandatory internships are not subject to this limitation.


The same applies for the second (calendary) year in the preparation program at the BIC.


Where can I live?

You have several options when looking for a place to live: student dorms, private apartments or shared flats.

In Germany, every university has dormitories that are run by a Studentenwerk (student union). Some are more conveniently located or for various other reasons more popular than others. These are the quickest to be booked, and you should watch application deadlines closely. Deadlines and other relevant information specific to the given university or town can easily be found on the university's and/or the Studentenwerk's website.


Probably the majority of students in most German cities live in private apartments. Especially popular among students are Wohngemeinschaften (shared apartments), or "WGs" due to the reduced living costs and additional social contacts. You can find further details and recommendations for finding an apartment in the BIC Pre-Departure Guide which we will send you, if you ask for it.


Do I also have to apply to German universities?

No, if you are accepted into a BIC Preparation Program, you are also given a conditional offer by one of the BIC Partner Universities. Thus, you do not need to apply for a university place after BIC and can go right on to study the degree programme of your choice.

How do I apply for a BIC Preparation Program?

The application process only takes a few steps.

In order to apply for a BIC Preparation Program, you


  1.     Choose the degree level you want to attain (Bachelor or Master),
  2.     Select the university degree programme you would like to study and
  3.     Decide between the available languages of instruction (German or English).


You can apply easily online. A BIC student advisor will get in touch with you to provide you with further information about the program you have selected and the necessary requirements for entry should you require it.