B.Eng. Wood Technology
University profile:Ostwestfalen-Lippe University of Applied Sciences
Website degree program:https://www.th-owl.de/studium/angebote/studiengaenge/detail/holztechnik/
Discipline areas:Engineering, Business
Language of instruction:German
Start at university:Winter Semester
BIC Preparation Program: 8 months
Bachelor program: 3.5 years
Total: approx. 4 years for a Bachelor's degree
This Bachelor's degree in Wood Technology is open to all interested students who fulfil the academic entry requirements of the German higher education system.
Love wood? Are you interested in the versatile challenges of the engineering field, and the very good entry-level and advancement opportunities in the furnishings industry, and in wood and interior fit-out companies? Then our Wood Technology program is the right choice for you!
This full-time program provides students with both a thorough natural sciences training and comprehensive expertise in the development, design and manufacturing of products made of wood and wood-based materials, as well as fundamental knowledge on plastics and metal processing. The program focuses specifically on economical development, production, logistics and sales processes on national and international markets.
The content of the degree program consistently references professional practice. The university has numerous cooperations with industry and trade companies and associations, as well as research institutions, on both regional and national levels. Ostwestfalen-Lippe is Europe’s largest hub for the furnishing and kitchen cabinet industry.
The Sybille and Hannes Frank Foundation grants a scholarship of 1,000 euros annually for the entire degree program to highly qualified secondary school students from the region who choose to study Wood Technology at the OWL University of Applied Sciences.
Profile of qualifications
Graduates in Wood Technology are specifically trained in engineering and in production fundamentals, including extensive materials expertise on different kinds of wood and wood-based products, as well as on business-related and logistical aspects. This means they are qualified for management and leadership positions in companies, primarily in the wood and furnishings industry, as well as at their suppliers and purchasers in the following areas, among others:
- Production management
- Quality assurance
- Research and Development
- In purchasing / marketing / sales
- Industrial wood production: Planning, operation and maintenance of modern production equipment for the wood and furnishings industry. Operating and environmental technology aspects are covered, as well as production equipment and fundamental machine technology.
- Furnishing construction and development: Planning, developing, construction and design of products in the furnishings industry. Students learn systematic furnishing fundamentals, aspects of lightweight furnishing construction, and key design management content.
- Wood structure production: Manufacturing and characteristics of wood construction products and systems, in particular focusing on building physics aspects and on the organizational and economic design of processes used to build with wood, and the relevant supplier industry.
Course of studies
Semesters 1-4: Basic course of studies with coursework in the areas of
- Engineering and natural sciences fundamentals
- Business administration fundamentals
- Information technology fundamentals
- Wood technology specialty modules
All modules consist of roughly equivalent parts lecture courses and practical exercises in small groups.
Semester 5: Internship semester in an industrial company or research institution. During their internships, students can select their own focus areas or gain international experience.
Semesters 6-7: Main phase of the program with two of three possible focus areas (furnishing construction and development, industrial wood production, wood structure production).
Coursework during the main phase of the program focuses only on wood engineering-specific topics, preparing students to complete a Bachelor’s thesis and begin their careers. The Bachelor’s thesis can be completed both in cooperation with a company or on a research topic in one of the university laboratories. The degree program concludes with a Bachelor’s thesis colloquium.