Die Anabin-Datenbank der Kultusministerkonferenz bietet Ihnen die Möglichkeit zu überprüfen, ob Sie die notwendigen Vorqualifikationen für ein Bachelor- oder Master-Studium in Deutschland haben.

How to check your eligibility to study a Bachelor

To confirm that you are eligible to directly enter a Bachelor degree programme at a German university with your current level of educational achievements, you have to check the classification of your academic qualifications:

  • Visit the database of foreign secondary school qualifications on the website of the Central Office for Foreign Education (ZAB): anabin
    -> The website is in German, but by following the instructions you will still be able to check your qualifications
  • Select your home country or, rather, the country in which you obtained your academic qualification from the dropdown list. Should you own leaving certificates from different countries, you should repeat this step and the ones below for each country/qualification.
  • Look for your qualification on the list and click on it. The pop-up window that now opens displays the evaluation of your qualification. ‘Direkter Zugang’ means that you do not need any further qualifications to be allowed to study in Germany. You can apply for a BIC Preparation Program (PP).
    Should it say that you still have to take the ‘Feststellungsprüfung (FSP)’ or, rather, visit a ‘Studienkolleg’ to obtain the necessary German higher education entry qualification, BIC offers you the chance to do so as part of the BIC Preparation Programs plus Studienkolleg (PPS) .

In certain cases, qualifications will have to be judged on an individual basis (‘Einzelfallentscheidung’). Should this be the case, please contact the BIC team of advisors, who are also ready to help you with any other questions you may have.

How to check your eligibility to study a Master

Admission to a Master degree programme at a German university requires an undergraduate degree. This must have been obtained from a recognised higher education institution (HEI). The degree also must be equivalent to at least a three year Bachelor that was attained in Germany.
You can check the recognition of the HEI at which you studied and of your academic qualifications by using the database of recognised institutes abroad and that of foreign higher education qualifications. The databases are in German, but by following the steps below, you will still be able to gain the necessary information:

  • By filtering the results by country (‘Land’), city (‘Ort’) and type (‘Typ’), you can search for your institution in the Central Office for Foreign Education’s (ZAB) database of foreign institutions: anabin (switch to the ‘Suchen’ page to access the search function)
    If your university is classed as ‘H+’, it is an institution that is recognised in Germany. In the event that it is described as ‘H+/-’ , your specific degree programme will have to be evaluated individually.
    Should your institution have been given an ‘H-’ classification, it is not recognised in Germany and neither are any of the degrees offered by it.
  • Following this, you can confirm the recognition of your degree. This is possible by looking up your degree type and specific area of studies in the database of foreign higher education qualifications. First, go to ‘Suchen nach Abschlüssen’, then select the country, in which you attained your previous degree, from the dropdown list in the first text box (‘(Alle) Länder’). After this, you choose the degree type (‘(alle) Abschlusstypen’) and your area of study (‘(Alle) Studienrichtungen’) from the lists in the the text boxes below. When you have found your degree, click on the plus sign on the left. The pop-up window that opens up will show you, how your degree is classed in comparison to a German degree. If it at least equals a 3 or 4 year Bachelor (‘Bachelor 3j/4j’), you fulfil the basic requirements of German Master degree programmes and can apply for a BIC Preparation Program.